Saturday, September 26, 2009

Grand Palace Hotel - Miri, Sarawak

I don’t know why but I would always be motivated to blog whenever I’m in Miri. Could it be due to the free broadband in hotel rooms in most hotel in Miri? Actually not all hotels provide free broadband in their room. Marriott Miri charged exorbitantly for usage of broadband in their hotel rooms.
a standard room
Anyway, this is not the first time I’m staying in Grand Palace. One reason I enjoy staying here is due to the fact that it’s near the place that I need to go for work. Another reason could be due to the fact that the rooms were recently refurbished and thus clean, and also that the beds and bedspreads and linens are new. It certainly could not be due to the boring breakfast they served each morning.

The anemities in room are pretty all standard. However, the hotel has something to offer that is quite unique. Grand Palace Hotel is promoting their mini-bar at only RM15+ for the whole set. One set consist of 6 cans of soft drinks, 3 types of peanut and 1 bar of kit kat. However, if you don’t want the whole set, you can opt for individual items but each item is like RM5+ per item. So, it’s more worth it to get the whole set. This is quite innovative. I was quite tempted to try.

I must put it on record now for my own reference that there’s no AXN in Grand Palace Hotel. I must have confused it with Hyatt Regency Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Grand Palace has only Star movie, disney and the usual sports, discovery, CNN among other channels and like most hotels/houses in Miri, they are able to receive broadcast from Brunei as well. Let it be noted that they do not have Vision TV.
view from my room

Oh ya, I paid RM198 for my room. It’s a promotional rate. The standard rate for this is is around RM250 if I'm not mistaken.